Skip to main content

P.E.

PE at Strandwood is delivered in a variety of ways. In the primary grades, teachers integrate PE into the school day in their individual classrooms, taking advantage of our wonderful climate and beautiful setting to get their students outside. Twice a week grades 1-3 collaborate by grade level for PE, learning the rules of common playground games and practicing them to reinforce the procedures. This has the dual benefit of giving the students physical exercise and establishing recess procedures for these games.

In the upper grades teachers provide 80 minutes of PE every 10 school days. This can range from running laps, to playground games to organized sports. PE is a standards-based curriculum, and the 80 minutes provided for the classroom teachers is 40% of the required 200 minutes per 10 school days. The other 60% (or 120 minutes) is provided by MDUSD Elementary Physical Education staff. A student's grade in elementary school PE is based on progress toward end-of-the-year goals, including a skills component and a sportsmanship component. The skills component is made up of evaluations in performance and effort. The sportsmanship component invovles participation and citizenship. Attendance and appropriate attire also factor into a student's grade.

Appropriate attire for elementary school PE means:

  • appropriate clothing for sports & movement (shorts must be worn under skirts or dresses)
  • safe footwear for sports (no sandals, backless shoes or heels, shoes MUST be tied)
  • sweatshirts, jackets, hats, gloves for cold weather
  • water bottle

For a printable copy of this information and a Student Information for Physical Educaion form, click the following:

     Program Description     English  ~  Spanish

     Student Information     English  ~  Spanish 

 

pe
Contact Julie Miller  Julie Miller PE teacher 4th/5th (Fridays)