The purpose of Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) is to meet the special needs of students whose performance and/or capacity for performance significantly exceeds age or grade-level expectations.
Differentiation of curriculum and instruction for GATE students should provide:
- Appropriate pacing and challenge of curriculum to ensure continuous academic growth
- Enrichment beyond the core curriculum
- Exploration of a particular area of interest
- Opportunity for creativity
- Development of skills in critical thinking, problem solving, divergent thinking, and independent learning.
Services are provided to GATE students through cluster or flexible grouping classes at the elementary level with differentiation to challenge and deepen student learning.